[cs615asa] Region issues

Nick Smith nsmith1 at stevens.edu
Sun Mar 30 00:14:33 EDT 2014

Hello,
In doing some testing I came to realize that AMIs are tied to a specific
region. So, basically we have to have an AMI id ready for every
region... or look one up. At some point we have to start making
assumptions about the environment, can this be one of them?

For a real example, if the user supplies a volume id that resides in
"us-west-2" we need to have an AMI for that region so we can spin up an
instance and mount the volume. This means we have to to test on multiple
AMIs and may add a lot of complexity...

How have other teams handled this? I'd like to assume a certain region
is used to avoid this headache.

Thanks,
Nick S