[cs615asa] Region issues

Nicholas Bevacqua nbevacqu at stevens.edu
Sun Mar 30 03:10:11 EDT 2014

I just discovered a worse issue. Amazon, in order to prevent everyone from
just picking us-east-1a, has different mappings for different accounts.
us-east-1a for 2 different accounts may point to completely different
data-centers. From our perspective, this matters little as we create
everything under one account.

Unfortunately, Amazon has also decided that not only should people not have
the same mappings, but they should even lack mappings on some accounts. One
of my team-mates was unable to find us-east-1c. I, similarly, can't find
us-east-1a. This is all Amazon's doing and we have no control over it.
Rather than just set a default region, I implore everyone to check what
regions are actually available at startup. Otherwise, you might have an
issue if you picked a region the professor has no access to for a default
setting.

-Nick Bevacqua