[cs615asa] HW5 Question

Michael Paulauski mpaulaus at stevens.edu
Sun Apr 19 23:55:43 EDT 2015

Hi Professor,

Is it an absolute necessity that we use tar(1) on the local machine before
using dd on the remote machine to transfer the file? Because I've found an
alternative online that may be a bit more efficient.

Finding the command to transfer files via dd on remote computers here:
https://www.pantz.org/software/dd/drivecopywithsshanddd.html I soon
wondered what the advantage to piping through gzip was. I then came upon
this question:

http://superuser.com/questions/760097/why-is-piping-dd-through-gzip-so-much-faster-than-a-direct-copy

Would it be acceptable to pipe the dd through gzip in order to maximize
network speed? Or would the same thing be accomplished via using tar on the
local machine before transferring the files?