[cs615asa] Problem with the ssh connecting to the linux?instance.

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Wed Jan 28 21:19:19 EST 2015

hchen29 <hchen29 at stevens.edu> wrote:

>> - what is the exact command you used to ssh to the linux instance?
> ANS: ssh -i ec2_cs615_keypair root at ec2-*-*-*.compute-1.amazonaws.com
>
>> - what is the exact command you used to ssh to the omnios instance?
> ANS: the same with above, only changes the domain name.

Some linux instances require you to log in as a non-root user.  The user
to use may differ depending on the AMI.  Review the information about
the AMI / documentation provided by whoever created the image to find
out which user that might be.

> After I use ssh command, both the two systems asked me to "Enter
> passphrase for ec2_cs615_keypair:". I left it blank and pressed enter
> button. Then the linux instance gave me the message: Permission denied
> (publickey).

You probably want to have a passphrase on your ssh key, since you are
storing it on a shared system (ie linux-lab).  If you have no
passphrase, though, then ssh shouldn't prompt you for one, so it'd be
strange if this sequence of actions worked for OmniOS.

> (In addition: When I choosing the images, some of images has the
> description of "instance-store" cannot be created by the command. Some
> of them may gave me a message like "this image does not support t1.micro
> type". I'm not sure about this problem. -- this is another problem)

Your favorite internet search engine and/or AWS online documentation
should be able to help you here.