[cs615asa] Some questions about env setup and X.509 certificate

hchen29 hchen29 at stevens.edu
Thu Jan 29 21:16:28 EST 2015

On 01/29/2015 7:38 PM, zding4 wrote:
> Hi everyone and professor,
>
> I follow the documentation of AWS
> CLI(http://docs.aws.amazon.com/cli/latest/userguide/cli-chap-getting-set-up.html), and I already launch my OmniOS instance.
> But I found I didn't do anything like changing to your shell's startup
> files, environment variables and X.509 certificate.
> Do I miss something or it's automatically done when I run $ aws
> configure?
>
> Sincerely,
> Zhizhuo

Hello Zhizhuo,
If you use the linux-lab to do these work, you do not need to do
preperations. The aws tools have been installed on the linux-lab system.
That's the reason why you do not need to configure the environment
variables. But if you do that on your personal computer, you should
follow those steps. The certificate and the private key, I think, are
used to make sure you are the person who is allowed to use the AWS
service. If you do not have the certification, you cannot use Amazon Web
Service; in specific, you cannot use "aws" command to deploy your
instances. The aws configure asks you to enter your access key, that
does the same work.
Those are my personal opinions. If there are something wrong, please
correct it. Thanks!

Hanxiong Chen