[cs615asa] How to solve enter passphrase for key '***.pem'

zding4 zding4 at stevens.edu
Sat Jan 31 20:50:18 EST 2015

> I do the experiment in linux-lab environment, and I have create the
> instance as expected.
>
> But when I use command  ssh -i ***.pem ec2-use@*.*.*.*, it asked me
> to enter passphrase for key **.pem. Did anyone face the same problem
> before?

try to create key-pair like this.

$ aws ec2 create-key-pair --key-name test-key --query 'KeyMaterial'
--output text > test-key.pem

pay attention to this option "--query 'KeyMaterial'".
Because aws ec2 command usually return a json object and the private key
is in the 'KeyMaterial' field.
--query will help you get what you need and you can redirect to a file.

Sincerely,
Zhizhuo