[cs615asa] any idea of entering the passphrase for key

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Fri Feb 12 21:54:39 EST 2016

Anwar Alruwaili <aalruwai at stevens.edu> wrote:

> I am getting asking for password when I want to log in
> ssh -i mykey.pem root at publicIP
> to enter the passphrase for key 'mykey.pem':

It's useful to really read the error messages your tools give you and
then seek to understand what they mean.  For this, it's good to
understand that there are different error messages for different
problems.

When seeking help, it's also useful to be precise in describing the
problem, so that whoever is trying to help you can understand exactly
what you've done and what the circumstances are under which you're
operating.

So in this case, ssh(1) is asking you for the passphrase for the key
'mykey.pem'.  What happens next?  Do you enter the passphrase?

Presumably you were able to use this key for HW1 -- check the
documentation you created for that assignment to make sure that what
worked then is what you are trying to do now.  What's different between
then and now?