[cs615asa] [POSSIBLE SPAM] [POSSIBLE SPAM] Homework#N - Attend a Meetup/Talk/community event

Runxi Ding rding6 at stevens.edu
Mon May 2 17:04:50 EDT 2016

Hi all,

The title of the technical meetup I attended on April 20 is  "what's new in
Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial Xerus)". The talk was given by Mark Baker. Mark is the
Ubuntu server and cloud product manager at Canonical where he has spent the
last 4 years helping drive the platform for next generation application
delivery. Prior to Canonical Mark worked at MySQL and Red Hat where he
enjoyed disrupting large Billion dollar incumbent technology companies.
With OpenStack and Ubuntu Mark continues to have fun following this same
path.

The reason why I attend this meetup is because I use Ubuntu a lot, it's my
favourite version of Linux system. My AWS was driven by Ubuntu.

Five software tools supported on Ubuntu 16.04 was introduced, including
LXD, OpenZFS, Snappy, Docker, OpenStack.

Canonical’s LXD is the next‐generation of container hypervisor for Linux,
it combines the speed and density of containers with the security of
traditional virtual machines. With LXD, you could launch a new machine in
under a second, and that you could launch literally hundreds of them on a
single server.

ZFS is a combined file system and logical volume manager designed and
implemented by a team at Sun Microsystems led by Jeff Bonwick and Matthew
Ahrens. Its development started in 2001 and it was officially announced in
2004. In 2005 it was integrated into the main trunk of Solaris and released
as part of OpenSolaris. Currently, as of January 2015, it is native to
Solaris, OpenSolaris, OpenIndiana, illumos, Joyent SmartOS, OmniOS,
FreeBSD, Debian GNU/kFreeBSD systems, NetBSD, OSv and supported on Mac OS
with MacZFS. The name "ZFS" originally stood for "Zettabyte File System".
Currently it can store up to 256 ZiB (zebibytes).

Snappy Ubuntu Core is the perfect system for large-scale cloud container
deployments, bringing transactional updates to the world’s favourite
container platform.

Docker
Docker is somewhat like vagrant or VMware.

OpenStack is the leading open cloud platform.

Thanks to this talk, I learned something I've never expected to exist
before. For instance, launch a virtual machine in seconds.

yours,
Runxi Ding