[cs615asa] HW#N: Attend a relevant Meetup/Talk/community event‏

cxu8 cxu8 at stevens.edu
Tue May 3 20:12:03 EDT 2016

Hi,all
I attended the talk about the introduction of Ubuntu 16.04, one day
before its official release. The head of the Ubuntu Server and Cloud
Product Strategy Mark Baker gave the talk on different topics.

The reason that I chose this talk is that I Ubuntu has played a
important role in my daily production, all the infrastructure I
leveraged on daily basis was on Ubuntu, my NAS, my git server was
deployed in Ubuntu, it is really important for me to know what new
feature has introduced to the Ubuntu 16.04 so I can decide whether I
should upgrade my infrastructure from Ubuntu 14.04 LTS to Ubuntu 16.04
LTS.

I don’t use Ubuntu desktop system a lot, so I mainly focused on
server-related stuff.

The speaker talked about five server-related software newly introduced
on Ubuntu 16.04, which are LXD, Snappy, Docker, OpenStack, OpenZFS.

I have been a ubuntu user for 4 years, I used ubuntu 12.04 LTS, 14.04
LTS. The most amazing part is that LTS version offer you 5-year support
in the security updates, and with the easy-to-use package manager.
That’s why I choose Ubuntu as my major linux distribution.

One big topic is about the LXD, the new generation Linux container
hypervisor. The company is now working with the hardware company to make
sure the introduction of the new container technology can be supported
by the new generation of processor. I think this kind of lightweight
container solution can help me with a better virtualization experience,
as virtualization has become a major part of my production
infrastructure.

Another import part is about the Docker. My production environment can
become more portable. So I can port my server from one machine to
another with ease.

After this talk, I think I should use Ubuntu as an important part of my
software infrastructure in the long run.
event link:
http://www.meetup.com/nylug-meetings/events/228363222/
Conghao Xu