[cs615asa] HW#N: Attend a relevant Meetup/Talk/community event

Tianyu Luo tluo3 at stevens.edu
Wed May 4 00:22:05 EDT 2016

Hi, all!

I've attended Meetup for Speed on Apr 28. This meetup was held by NY Web
Performance group. In this meetup, speakers talked about what effects the
website, introduced some tools and then analysis case by case. I chose this
because I have my own website and I want to know more about it.

There is a useful tool that they recommended, Webpagetest (
http://www.webpagetest.org). It analysis websites by loading them and get
different responses. Those responds are measurement of your speed. For
example, load time is the response time of loading everything, first byte
is the time of receiving HTML and initial connection is the TCP/IP
handshake. We can learn a lot from these information. If the TCP/IP cost
much time, it means that it may connect every time. This can be improved on
server side. If images are too big so that the resizing every time,
administrations can shrink them before. Meanwhile, we can keep local copy
on server to speed up.

Next, the speaker introduced some other tools. Using grip to compress and
use CloudFair as free CDN. Using CDN would be a good choice if the
customers of website are from different countries.

Finally, Sergey, one of the speakers, introduced a framework that maybe
helpful to design a faster website.
1, Acknowledge action(ie. If users have already clicked button, the page
should display it.)
2, Verify destination
3, Provide primary content
4, Allow interaction
5, Show secondary content
6, Invisible tasks
Following on this guide, we may make our website faster.

Following are some resources. Some of them are not related to this topic,
but Sergey would like to share.
[1] Meetup website.
http://www.meetup.com/Web-Performance-NY/events/229585248/
[2]NY Web Performance - DNS as a Web Performance Tool
http://www.slideshare.net/nsoneinc/ny-web-performance-dns-as-a-web-performance-tool

Thanks,
Tianyu Luo