[cs615asa] HW#N - Attend a Meetup/Talk/community event.

曹勇 ycao18 at stevens.edu
Wed May 4 09:50:01 EDT 2016

Hi everyone,

I went to
	SQL NYC, The NoSQL & NewSQL Database Meetup 			2016-4-30 10:30-3:00
	First-Time Open Source Contributor Workshop [Ruby-Focused]         2016-5-3    6:30-8:30

For the first meetup, the talk is about NoSql and NewSQL database.

The speaker was Jim Scott, Director of Enterprise Strategy & Architecture, MapR. He start with why we need move from RDBMS data to Modern SQL + NoSQL environment. He thinks more than 90% of data we used do not need relation database. It is not a good choice to use RDBMS every where.
Disadvantage of RDBMS
- data complexity
Data in an RDBMS resides in multiple tables, which are linked to each other through shared key values. An RDBMS does not force database designers to impose a coherent table structure; inexperienced programmers may design systems that create unnecessary complexity or limit the future development of the database through poorly chosen data types. The flexibility of an RDBMS presents a double-edged sword.

- broken keys and records
Relational databases require shared keys to link information spread across several tables. Like a customer table may include client demographics, with a unique index number identifying the record within the table.

- hardware performance
Complex queries require sophisticated processing power. Although most desktop computers can manage the databases of the size and complexity often encountered in a small business setting, a database with external data sources or very complex data structures may require more powerful servers to return results within an acceptable response time.

Advantage of ModernSQL + NoSQL
- Key-Value Stores
K-V store is the simplest data model. Technically it is just a distributed persistent associative array. The key is a unique identifier for a value, which can be any data application needs stored.

- document store
Documents can be queried by their properties in a similar manner to relational databases but aren’t required to adhere to the strict structure of a database table. Additionally, only parts of the object may be requested or updated.

- graph database
Graph databases map more directly to object oriented programming models and are faster for highly associative data sets and graph queries. Furthermore they typically support ACID transaction properties in the same way as most RDBMS.

For the second meetup First-Time Open Source Contributor Workshop [Ruby-Focused], I attended it because I have strong interesting about open source and contribute to open source projects. Before this event, I have never use ruby.
On this meetup, we discuss some open source project based on ruby like

- Paperclip
Paperclip is intended as an easy file attachment library for ActiveRecord. The intent behind it was to keep setup as easy as possible and to treat files as much like other attributes as possible.  It manages validations based on size and presence, if required. It can transform its assigned image into thumbnails if needed. Attached files are saved to the filesystem and referenced in the browser by an easily understandable specification, which has sensible and useful defaults.

- Exercise
This project try to develop a website for people who want learn programming. Users can post their code on this website let others help them fix some bugs or solve some problems. The solutions you write provide reviewers with clues about what you haven't grasped yet. The feedback you receive will guide you to relevant study topics and dramatically increase the ease with which you write code.

- If-me
if me is a community for mental health experiences that encourages people to share their personal stories with trusted allies. Trusted allies are the people we interact with on a daily basis, including friends, family members, co-workers, teachers, and mental health workers.

- Dolores Landingham bot
This is a Slack bot that helps onboard new hires at 18F through scheduled Slack messages about topics relevant to 18F and GSA employees. Messages will be scheduled once per day and will trickle out to employees over the course of 60 days.

Mrs. Landingham will teach 18F employees about working in the federal government, how to set up travel, how to add their biographical information and pictures to our website, and other facts that will help them get acclimated to both 18F and the federal government.

Links-
http://www.meetup.com/hackerhours/
http://www.meetup.com/mysqlnyc/
https://github.com/doorkeeper-gem