[cs615asa] [POSSIBLE SPAM] HW#N - Attend a Meetup/Talk/community event

Bo Li bli34 at stevens.edu
Wed May 4 13:56:41 EDT 2016

 Hi, everyone!

I wen to "Meet for Speed" on Apr 28 which mainly about how to speed up your
own website.

Firstly, discover which slows down the website. The speaker use a tool
called Webpagetest (http://www.webpagetest.org) in which your can type the
website's URL and select a test location and browser type then start the
test. The test will simulate a client from certain location to visit the
test URL, and show the result combined with several key response data like
DNS lookup time, first byte time which measures first HTML element
receives. Your can even see every content's show up time use a timeline
view. The result also shows each request's content and Content breakdown by
MIME type.

The clues to speed up your website can be seen by analyzing the response
data. Like if the DNS lookup time shows up in every request which means the
connection is not persistent. In this case set the server can improved the
speed. If you spend too much time on download images, we know we should try
compress the images first or resizes the image first base on the html
request content. If the js content cost too much maybe we can try lazy

At last the speaker talked his opinions about web design as developers like
decides which is primary and secondary content, user interaction matters,
etc.

*Meetup website:*
http://www.meetup.com/Web-Performance-NY/
More Web Performance groups around the world:
http://web-performance.meetup.com/
Web Performance Books:
http://pinterest.com/perfplanet/wpo-books/

Regards