[cs615asa] DevOps Meet-up Summary

Ankai Liang aliang at stevens.edu
Wed Apr 26 16:30:26 EDT 2017

Dear classmates,

Hi, I want to share my experience of the meet-up, Stealing the Best Ideas from DevOps: A Guide for Sysadmins without Developers, which was held at DataDog HQ in February 21. I chose this events because I want to know what's DevOps and what role does it play in Enterprise software development and operations.

The principles of DevOps are:
1)The three ways of Devops
System thinking, amplify feedback loops, and culture of continual experimentation and learning. These three ways can help us to improve complex processes. Put simply, we could improve the process itself, the communication between people involved and trying new things.
2)The small batch of principles
Doing work in samll batches is better than big batches.
[work-check-work-check] is better than [work-work-work-check]. That's a good principle apply to development. Just like the Homework 6 of CS615, after finishing one small part of work, we should immediately check it in instance. That principle could help us quickly debug and improve the code.
3)Minimum viable product
Delivering some value sooner is better than all value later. The term "value" include features, stuff, the goods and benifits. With that principle, we get earlier feedback and help people sooner. Sometimes, we even have a chance to pivot. If user doesn't like the product, just change direction.

To summarize, DevOps is a term that emphasize the collaboration and communication between developers and infomation technology professionals. It aims at establishing a culture and environment where building, testing, and releasing software can happen rapidly, frequently, and more reliably.

The speaker also suggested apply these priciples in non-developer environments, such as restaurant logistics, losing weight, writing books and so on.
These principles of DevOps also can apply to our homework. For example, when doing the group work, one member update their process with samll batch, others test it and leave feedback immediately. This way could help us work efficiently and reliably.

By the way, Manhattan's night is very beautiful!

Thanks for reading,
Ankai Liang

Meet-up Link:
https://www.meetup.com/nycdevops/events/237543220/