[cs615asa] Fwd: (no subject)

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Wed Feb 15 10:38:57 EST 2017

Bryana Atkinson <batkinso at stevens.edu> wrote:
> In case anyone was wondering, it seems my inability to ssh only
> happens during the night. If it's night, I can't ssh into a session
> even if it says it is running. Not sure if this is an AWS thing, a
> Stevens linux-lab thing, or something else.

Hmm, that seems very peculiar.  If you are experiencing this when
starting instances and ssh'ing to them from linux-lab, then we all
should experience this, too.

You can test your hypothesis, though:

Start an instance in the afternoon, confirm you can SSH to it.
Wait and try to log in every ten minutes or so, alert when it fails.

Or, if you theorize that it's related to an instance being freshly
created, loop like this:

- create instance
- ssh to instance
- shutdown instance
- sleep 10 minutes

On the up side: this is exactly the kind of weird problem sysadmins have
to troubleshoot.