[cs615asa] Meetup Summary

Jason Ajmo jajmo at stevens.edu
Sun Apr 29 16:00:16 EDT 2018

Meetup: Serverless NYC @ Pivotal
Link: https://www.meetup.com/Serverless-NYC/events/248972823/
Date: April 26, 2018
Presenter: Mark Fisher, riff tech lead

The talk I attended was about functions as a service (FaaS), and the
contiuing
trend of moving more and more operations to the cloud. The presented
technology,
riff, is similar to Amazon Lambda in the sense that it provides FaaS, and
runs
these functions in response to events from an event broker.

riff operates on Kubernetes, being essentially a wrapper around it. It is
installed with helm (Kubernetes package manager), and it packages functions
into containers using invokers. Invokers are pieces of code that do just
that -
invoke the functions. They currently have a few invokers available,
including
Java, Bash, and NodeJS.

To link the event broker and the developer's function, they include a
sidecar
container, written in Go, that pipes the events between the source and
sink. To
handle the issue of scaling, it is based on the queue buildup between the
sidecar
and the event broker.

I found this meetup super interesting because this whole FaaS trend is
something
I know absolutely nothing about. There were people talking about tons of
different
technologies that I've never heard of. Similarly, this meetup was chosen
because
serverless architecture is also something I'm not too familiar with.

Overall, this meetup was a great experience with really interesting and
smart
people.

https://projectriff.io/
--