[cs615asa] Meetup Summary

eguan eguan at stevens.edu
Mon Apr 30 17:16:27 EDT 2018

I attended the meetup which was about
Breaking down Dev/Prod Wall, and Crossing the Serverless Fireswamp
in Apr 17.
Link: https://www.meetup.com/en-AU/nycdevops/events/fmgjmnyxgbwb/

I was interested in the topic of serverless. Serverless framework
helps people develop and deploy your AWS Lambda functions, along with
the AWS infrastructure resources they require. It’s a CLI that offers
structure, automation and best practices out-of-the-box, allowing you
to focus on building sophisticated, event-driven, serverless
architectures,
comprised of Functions and Events.

Serverless topic was hold by the Mike Roberts, who is the Co-founder of
@symphoniacloud with much knowledge about the serverless architecture.
In the presentation, he provided several points to use the serverless
service of AWS. Such as Serverless tends more towards the ultimate
destination of path — complete host abstraction for our application
logic. And use serverless, people will have no concern with resource
allocation or capacity planning. the hosting provider figures out all
the allocation questions for you dynamically, and guarantees it will
have sufficient capacity for your needs Of course, it saves a lot of
money in business.

Another topic is about development and production management. The
speaker
Andrew Phillips claimed some opinions. Like the wall between Dev and Ops
may be crumbling, but there is a very "Prob/Dev" wall. Or user
interactions,
early backing insight, surfacing user feedback are important. This
discussion
tells me the interaction between user and programmer is critical for a
successful product. The tech team should spend more time on dealing with
the feedback of customers.

This was the first time that I attended such meetup, it was really cool
learn some interesting topic of technology, although some of these I
don't
understand. Now, I attempt to join some more interesting meetup group,
like
reactjs. And I'm willing to take participate in such discussion.