[cs615asa] NY Info Security Meetup

Xuyang Weng xweng at stevens.edu
Fri Mar 23 17:47:48 EDT 2018

The event is March NY Info Security Meetup which was held in Work-Bench.
The reason I choose this topic is the system security is main concern of a
SysAdmin, and we also have security topic in following lectures.

There were three speakers. The first man is Rich Gardner he is principal
security solution architect at CloudPassage. He spoke about forming rings
of security. He emphasized best practices like installing the latest
updates and thinking about defensive security, rather than reacting to a
data breach after is has already happened.

The last two guys spoke about their products. The man from Infocyte talked
about how the software system catches suspicious activity within a network.
He uses heuristic algorithms to identify suspicious activity and flag
certain computers as high risk. The man from Fenror7 spoke about how his
system can pull the copy of currently running RAM from a computer and
analyze program behavior. This helps to identify programs that look OK from
a distance, but have malicious code hidden inside.Besides that, there were
SysAdmins, job recruiters, cybersecurity professionals, sales people, and
business analysts at the event, all trying to better understand security.

Although there were a bunch of new things I learned from this event like
CI/CD pipeline, Docker container, cis benchmark etc., the most surprised me
is there are many people can profit from security. SysAdmins are facing a
severe cyber environment. Many things need to be learned.

Here is the event link. They will hold the event once a month. Feel free to
check it out.
https://www.meetup.com/NY-Enterprise-Information-Security-Meetup/events/247056917/

Best Regards,
Xuyang Weng