[cs615asa] Meetup Summary

Zhengkai Wei zwei11 at stevens.edu
Tue May 1 05:06:49 EDT 2018

Meetup summary

I have attended nycdevops meetup on April 17th.

https://www.meetup.com/nycdevops/events/fmgjmnyxgbwb/ <https://www.meetup.com/nycdevops/events/fmgjmnyxgbwb/>
There are two main topic on this meeting:

“Breaking down the Dev/Prod Wall” and "Crossing the Serverless Fireswamp"

“Breaking Down the Prod/Dev Wall” is provided by Andrew Phillips.

He thinks a wall between the developer and product management. And if not break it the team maybe built something nobody wants.

He gives 4 things can help

1. Regular user interactions

2. Early backlog insight

3. Visible user-level metrics

4. Surface user feedback

And he thinks breaking down the Prod/Dev wall can learn a lot from Devops.

I think the main idea is the developer can easy get user feedback from product management. And the product management should make the data been timely, classify, and on surface.

As a system administrator, communicate with developer can product management is very important too.

We should determine which system and tools can better support the technology stack the developer used and find weak part make some prepare for it.

We should know which data is important and need to be backup.

And we should know user behavior and prepare different computing power for different times that can make system stable.

"Crossing the Serverless Fireswamp" was presented by Mike Roberts

The “serverless” in his presentation is BaaS(Backend as a Service ) and Faas(Functions as a Service).

A serverless Application is one that makes extensive use of Serverless services.

He used amazon S3 as a example to present benefits of Serverless

The benefits include:

No concern of  ‘nodes’ of server machines/precesses

Automatic and invisible auto-scaling based on usage

Costs based on precise usage

Performance is not oriented around node count or sizing

Implicit cross-availability zone high availability

In CS615 class , most of our works are working on ec2. That is kind of  <>Serverless <> platform.

From this topic I learn lots of unicorns and small companies are put their server on Serverless platform like : AWS, Azure and GCP. And the information from Mike Roberts who is a engineering leader of a Serverless and cloud technology consultancy is very important for a new graduate. He also share some advantages and disadvantages of Serverless like AWS Lambda. AWS Lambda with AWS S3 is a powerful combination but still have some problem cause them not work perfect like hard to learn and many AWS lambda may burst database when them deployed in multiple container.

I choose this meetup because as a computer science master student, I may have lot of work on Serverless platform in future. And the experience shared from Serverless expert may help me better understand the advantages and disadvantages of Serverless.