[cs615asa] Meetup Summary

Xueyao Bai xbai9 at stevens.edu
Thu May 3 23:10:22 EDT 2018

Meetup: Multi-host, multi-network persistent containers.
Link: https://www.meetup.com/DevOpsContained/events/249268845/
Speaker: Bruce Parker, Aerospike
Date: May 3, 2018.

The talk I attended was about databases and containers from development to
deployment.

First, the speaker talked about the requirement of containers, it has four
features:
1. Data redundancy, it means the containers automatically replicate data to
n nodes.
2. Dynamic self discovery & cluster formation, it means all nodes are equal.
3. Automatic healing & rebalancing of the cluster.
4. Application tier should deal with a "black box". It will isolate the
application tier with system tier.

Then, he talked about the storage of the container. It has two aspect:
1. Inside encapsulation of concerns.
2. Outside separation of concerns. The EBS from AWS is used this way.

And then is about the clustering. It also has two aspect:
1. multiple DNS entries(requires AS 3.10+)
   One per container
   Start the container with its DNS name
   Clients know a few well know DNS name.
2. Single DNS entry
   new servers update the DNS entry.

Finally, He showed us how to deploy a docker, and also gave us some link to
learn more of this
technology. Like www.aerospike.com/docs/deploy_guides/docker ...

In this meet up, I heard this new technology. In class, we always use AWS
ec2 instances. This company is also used container. Although now, I still
do not understand more of this technology, it gave me some
thought of this technology. At least I heard this, and I am interested in
this technology, I will look more information of this tech. By the way,
this meet up is awesome.