[cs615asa] HW6 Question about Environment Variables

Matthew Mahoney mmahone1 at stevens.edu
Tue May 15 12:28:57 EDT 2018

Hi All,

I have a question regarding the environment variables:
EC2_CERT and EC2_PRIVATE_KEY

When trying to research what these specifically are, I stumbled upon
something which left me puzzled. It appears from this document:

http://awsdocs.s3.amazonaws.com/EC2/ec2-clt.pdf Page 36

That ec2_cert is used for a x.509 certificate when making requests to EC2.
When looking at the x.509 Certificate creation tool in the IAM console, it
is meant for making SOAP Requests.

However, in this document here:

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/APIReference/using-soap-api.html

It says that we shouldn't be making any SOAP requests and that if we are
using Amazon EC2 CLI tools, we "can no longer use the EC2_PRIVATE_KEY and
EC2_CERT environment variables" and that we must instead use
"AWS_ACCESS_KEY and AWS_SECRET_KEY variables instead".

Could someone please enlighten me on what we are supposed to do with these
two environment variables in question?

Regards,
Matthew Mahoney