[cs615asa] hw5 Question

Justin Barish jbarish at stevens.edu
Wed Apr 3 23:20:49 EDT 2019

The du function often returns errors/warnings about certain directories
that cannot be read if the user tries to run du on '/' (such as du:
/proc/2093/fd/8: No such file or directory).
Since we should check the return code of all functions for failure, how
should this be handled, since the above causes a return code of 1, as does
other possible failures? Would a correct answer be to just ignore the
return value of du, and do checks (such as the existence of the directory)
separately?

Also, should we have du count filesystem mount points, or ignore them (-x
flag)?

-Justin