[cs615asa] HW4 revisited

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Sun Apr 19 18:18:57 EDT 2020

Hello,

I've just finished grading HW4 and will be sending out
grades later tonight.  Looking at your submissions, it
seems like there is still some confusion around what
we were looking for in the assignment.  The most
important aspect was for you to be able to identify
and explain the queries from your resolver to:

- one of the root servers
- one of the GTLD servers
- the authoritative servers

You should have noticed a number of queries for each,
including using UDP and TCP.  There should have been a
number of queries that did not seem to relate to your
client's request, and we were looking for some
explanation or identification of most DNS related
packets here.

I'd recommend that you do revisit the lecture slides
from Lecture 07, as well as read through this write-up
I created a few semesters ago to help you better
understand the objective of the assignment and to
reinforce the lessons from that lecture:
https://www.netmeister.org/blog/dns-tcpdump.html