[cs615asa] mounting volumes

Elliot Wasem ewasem at stevens.edu
Sun Feb 16 14:02:04 EST 2020

Hey Mark,

Appreciate the help. I took a look at dmesg before and after mounting, and found that before I mounted the volume, the output looked like this:
and after I mounted the volume using the command:
$ aws ec2 attach-volume --instance-id i-<id> --volume-id vol-<id> --device /dev/sdh
it looked like this:

which indicated to me that the device is called xbd2 . I don't see it under /dev, but I'm able to read and write to it. I do however see a bunch of devices ranging from xbd2a to xbd2p . I'm able to dd directly to /dev/xbd2 , and read from it with dd as well. So, I guess that's my attached volume.

Does anyone know why there are 21 devices starting with xbd2, but no device simply called xbd2? Is it because there are 21 sectors on the device, and it's addressing each sector separately?
Thanks,
Elliot Wasem
https://elliotwasem.xyz