[cs615asa] Political Impacts on Networking and Communication

Jared Bass jbass at stevens.edu
Sat May 2 18:58:27 EDT 2020

One of the topics mentioned in the Networking lecture is that we always exist on the "political" level of the OSI stack. This has always interested me, and I try and keep up with current events. In the before time, before we went fully digital, a bill was making its way through the U.S. Congress that threated to end encryption. The EFF talks about it in their article here.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/03/earn-it-act-violates-constitution

On a slightly lighter note, and another reminder that networking is more than code, nine years ago one woman took down the internet for an entire country.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2011/04/09/elderly-woman-shuts-down-armenian-internet/#6b6b9fa6409b
[https://thumbor.forbes.com/thumbor/fit-in/1200x0/filters%3Aformat%28jpg%29/https%3A%2F%2Fi.forbesimg.com%2Fmedia%2Famp%2Fimages%2Fforbes-logo-dark.png]<https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2011/04/09/elderly-woman-shuts-down-armenian-internet/#6b6b9fa6409b>
Elderly Woman Shuts Down Armenian Internet - Forbes<https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2011/04/09/elderly-woman-shuts-down-armenian-internet/#6b6b9fa6409b>
Elderly Woman Shuts Down Armenian Internet. Alex Knapp Forbes Staff. Science. I write about the future of science, technology, and culture. This article is more than 9 years old.
www.forbes.com

[https://www.eff.org/files/banner_library/eagle-2b.jpg]<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/03/earn-it-act-violates-constitution>
The EARN IT Act Violates the Constitution | Electronic Frontier Foundation<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/03/earn-it-act-violates-constitution>
Since senators introduced the EARN IT Act (S. 3398) in early March, EFF has called attention to the many ways in which the bill would be a disaster for Internet users’ free speech and security. We’ve explained how the EARN IT Act could be used to drastically undermine encryption. Although the bill...
www.eff.org