[cs615asa] Review Session: HTTP/S

Mark Freeman mfreema1 at stevens.edu
Sun May 3 16:56:48 EDT 2020

Hi all,

As a review of HTTP and HTTPS, I would like to recall a lecture from the
CS253 Stanford series that was presented earlier.

The series:  https://web.stanford.edu/class/cs253/
The video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhnQFQ2qFtA

Lecture 2 covers DNS and HTTP.  Timestamp 0:23:00 to 1:03:00 provides an
excellent overview of HTTP, as well as associated concepts like the OSI
stack, headers, etc.

More concretely, I would also like to present an article from Cloudflare on
public key encryption:
https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/ssl/how-does-public-key-encryption-work/

I find the "lock" metaphor presented here a great way to remember how it
works.  This site includes further links to understanding HTTPS in the
"Related Content" section, which I would also recommend you
review, especially the "SSL Handshake" link.

Thanks!
Mark