[cs615asa] git changes

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Wed Mar 10 10:12:10 EST 2021

Hello,

In order to let you work more independently and
rapidly, I've granted everybody access to commit
directly into the authoritative origin repository at
"git at cs615asa.netmeister.org:~git/ebs-backup".

However, we are still looking for proper peer review,
so I'd like to ask that nobody commits their own
changes into that repository and instead asks somebody
else to merge changes on their behalf.

That is, you'd still make your changes in your fork
(i.e.
"<yourusername>@cs615asa.netmeister.org:ebs-backup"),
then generate a pull request as discussed before and
share the PR with your team mates, either by sending
it to the mailing list or by sharing it on Slack or
any other way you see fit.

Anybody else may then merge your PR into the origin
code tree.  How you do that is up to you -- just take
care not to accidentally commit your own outstanding
code changes.

You can accomplish this by pulling the PR into a
separate branch, or by managing completely separate
directories, or anything else that works.

I've also set up the repository to send notifications
to the class mailing list of any merged commits to the
origin repository, so we should begin seeing those
come in here on the list.

Finally, I've not joined the slack channel you set up
for discussions, so as to give you a space to talk
amongst yourselves.  If you have specific questions or
need my help, ping me in #general.

Let's see if all this makes it easier for you to work
on the project -- good luck coding!