[cs615asa] HW1 and reminders

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Sun Feb 13 15:21:36 EST 2022

Hello,

I've just sent out grades for HW1 (my apologies for
the delay); if you did not receive an email from me
with your grade, please let me know.

Most of you did well in this assignment.  A few common
notes in addition to what we already discussed in
class:

I would have liked to see more analysis and
description of lessons learned and problems overcome.
This is really where most of the learning takes place,
so the clearer you can articulate your problems, the
better I can help you find answers.

For the two problems of running out of disk space and
especially running out of inodes, it'd have been good
if you had tried to find ways to solve these problems
faster than simply by letting my sample program run
for many hours.  Some of you did come up with ways,
others seemed not to have tried.

For any of the commands I asked you to run, I hope
that you did actually look at what the purpose of the
command is and what the output means.  Remember to
read the manual pages!

Almost all of you used the fdisk(8) command to display
the partitions, but there is also the disklabel(8)
command.  Revisit the previous lecture videos to
ensure you understand the difference between the two.

Lastly, please remember to fill out this week's
checkpoint after you've watched the videos.  I also
recommend that you consider completing the recommended
exercises to strengthen your understanding of this
week's topic:

https://stevens.netmeister.org/615/package-exercise.html
https://stevens.netmeister.org/615/useradd-exercise.html

Our next class will again be in person on campus - see
you tomorrow!