[cs615asa] shell server

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Wed Feb 1 17:10:48 EST 2023

Hello,

If you've sent me a public ssh key as requested, then
you should now be able to log into the shared shell
server shell.cs615asa.stevens.netmeister.org.

You may want to add a stanza to your ~/.ssh/config
file:

Host shell
        HostName shell.cs615asa.stevens.netmeister.org
        IdentityFile    ~/.ssh/cs615

The SSH key fingerprints for this server are:

521 SHA256:ICWvgbKLuNPU5/5UuEB/rtR3tApGEUhpbCzxNnYYynk (ECDSA)
256 SHA256:aVdhRGNZp33fICM8Jg4mk2FfusmKt8sZOgSHP66xrPU (ED25519)
3072 SHA256:e2l7J/lqG/64jMV2V2DwM8aOd8xAAe3QmIic9Gw9WMA (RSA)

(If you have a DNSSEC validating resolver, you should
be able to add 'VerifyHostKeyDNS yes' to your
~/.ssh/config and call it a day.)

Please verify that you can log in on this system.

The server has the AWS command-line utilities
installed.  If you want to use EC2 from it, you will
need to copy your ~/.aws/config and ~/.aws/credentials
to that system.  Of course I would be able to read
those files, so you'd have to trust me.

You may also choose to create a separate IAM user for
this system to separate your access.

I've also just added two new functions to our
'awsaliases' file
(https://stevens.netmeister.org/615/awsaliases):

'awsListResources' - to list all your relevant EC2
resources

'awsCurrentBill' - to print out your current AWS bill
for the last 30 days

The latter requires that your AWS user has privileges
to AWS Cost Explorer.  I wrote a description of how to
add those privileges to your user from the
command-line here:
https://www.netmeister.org/blog/aws-cost-cli.html

The 'awsaliases' file is automatically sourced by your
shell on the shared server, so if you do set this up,
and you add your credentials to the shell server, then
you can, for example, add 'awsCurrentBill' to your
~/.profile and you'll be greeted at login time with
your current costs:

laptop$ ssh shell
Last login: Wed Feb  1 21:55:40 2023 from 207.172.174.21
NetBSD 9.1 (GENERIC64) #0: Sun Oct 18 19:24:30 UTC 2020

Welcome to NetBSD!

AWS Billing Period 2023-01-02 - 2023-02-01: $4.98
shell$

To inspect what you may have running, just type
'awsListResources'.

You can also use these functions from your laptop, of
course.

If you run into any problems, please post here to the
mailing list or the class Slack.