[cs631apue] User directories vs. docroot

Sean McCoy smccoy at stevens.edu
Sat Dec 17 01:40:02 EST 2011

Quick question:

Is the "user directories" feature ("/~foo" -> "/home/foo/sws") supposed
to be an exception to the "only serve files in the document root"
requirement? For example, if I run ./sws /home/foo/testdir/, but a user
tries to GET /~bar/file, should I respond with the contents of
/home/bar/sws/file even though it is not in /home/foo/testdir/? Or
should I forbid that access?

If this access isn't allowed, I think I am confused about the usefulness
of the user directory expansion feature.

Thanks,
-Sean McCoy