[cs631apue] setproctitle()

jphillip jphillip at stevens.edu
Sat Dec 8 14:36:36 EST 2012

You want to prevent anyone else from seeing the key that was used
because that would make your encryption vulnerable.  The system stores
the command that was used to start processes from the command line.
This can be seen by running ps.  If you don't modify the key passed to
the encryption program anyone could see it by running ps.  Two ways of
changing what the system stores as the command that was run is by
modifying argv or using setproctitle.

Justin