[cs631apue] setproctitle()

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Sat Dec 8 19:02:31 EST 2012

yluo4 <yluo4 at stevens.edu> wrote:
> I have done as what you said, but it didn't work.
>
> yluo4 at eva:~/bfed$ echo 'secret' | ./bfed -k cafefacedeadbeef
> yluo4 at eva:~/bfed$ ps | grep bfe[d]

Here you are running the ps command after the bfed command has already
returned.  The point is that if somebody runs the ps command at the same
time as you run the bfed command, they will see the entry in the process
table.

> And does the key must be 16 hexadecimal characters? Because you also say
> "using a 128 bit (16 byte) key" in the manual. I think 16 hexadecimal
> characters is 64 bit.

We've had this discussion here on this list already.  Please see the
emails in the archive:
https://lists.stevens.edu/pipermail/cs631apue/2012-November/thread.html

To clarify this once more:

Your program requires as the key 16 characters of the hexadecimal
character set.