[cs631apue] Final Questions

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Fri Dec 14 12:32:16 EST 2012

tparisi <tparisi at stevens.edu> wrote:
> question 14 is still confusing to me. Are we to write two programs,
> one that listens and one that sends information?

Question 14 asks you to write one program.  This program will connect to
the IP address 2001:470:1f06:1a3::2 on port 3113 and then send the
string specified as the first argument to the program.

> How does the sending program know what information to send?

The user specifies the string as the first argument:

./send hello           # your program sends the string "hello"
./send "hello there"   # your program sends the string "hello there"
./send 1               # your program sends the string "1"

> And once there is no more data left, do both programs terminate
> without doing anything else?

Once the data has been sent, the your program will terminate.

> Are we to do this on the netmeister system in your last email?

You can, if you like to, use any of the following systems:

cs631-netbsd.netmeiter.org
cs631-omnios.netmeister.org
cs631-rhel.netmeister.org
linux-lab.cs.stevens.edu

As with all previous assignments, your code will be tested to compile
without warnings on linux-lab.cs.stevens.edu.