[cs631apue] telnet not detecting socket close

tparisi tparisi at stevens.edu
Sat Nov 10 17:43:00 EST 2012

I actually encountered the same problem.  It took me a lot of time to
figure out you have to make sure you close the child's socket file
descriptor in both the parent and the child if you open the client's
socket in the parent.  Otherwise the socket remains open to the parent
and telnet doesn't report the closure to the client side because
technically the parent can still write to it.  It may be a different
problem for you but I figured I'd throw out my experience and
hopefully it helps.
Tom