[cs631apue] HW5 Key Confusion

tparisi tparisi at stevens.edu
Thu Nov 29 10:47:00 EST 2012

I'm confused because a 16 length hex key is 64 bits because every two
characters is a hex-digit.  Meaning that normally a 16 byte length
string is 128 bits but if its a hex string isn't it only 64 bits because
every two characters is a hex-digit.  So, if you have the string
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF (16F's) that comes to 255 255 255 255 255 255 (255 8
times).  This means there are still 8 slots in the array that are not
filled.  I may be wrong in my thinking which is why I am confused.
Tom