[cs631apue] HW5 Key Confusion

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Thu Nov 29 17:03:01 EST 2012

Jan Schaumann <jschauma at stevens.edu> wrote:

> I guess I'm confused myself at this point.  I'll have to make some time
> to look into this more closely, but in the mean time don't worry about
> compatibility with the openssl command.  If your program properly
> encrypts and decrypts data, then -- unless I come up with anything new
> -- that's good enough.

Ok, I now understand the confusion, and I apologize for having given a
misleading example in the slides.

As Ken and you have pointed out, openssl(1) would require a 32 char hex
string to match our 16 char key.  Sorting this out is tedious, so you do
not need to be able to use the openssl(1) command to decrypt the
contents.

Again, sorry for the confusion.