[cs631apue] HTTP 0.9 requests

Tejas Nadkarni tnadkarn at stevens.edu
Sun Nov 24 08:49:56 EST 2013

I've been reading the RFC and I understand 0.9 are simple requests that
only support GET and no content-types, etc.

However, how do you respond to HTTP 0.9 requests?

i.e. GET /index.html is a HTTP 0.9 request

>From the RFC it seems you don't respond with headers but just the response
code line and that's it. If the file exists you send the file, if not just
the response code. Whereas with HTTP/1.0 you send the additional headers.

is this right?

i.e. for HTTP 0.9

Client: GET /index.html

Server: HTTP/1.0 200 OK
<file contents>

----

Client: GET /index.html

Server: HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found

Or do we still send other things like Date/Server name/etc. back?