[cs631apue] HW4 grades sent

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Fri Nov 28 16:40:13 EST 2014

Hello,

I've just sent out grades for HW4.  Here are a few of the tests that I
ran:

- point your server's docroot to ~jschauma/tmp/test
- run the script at https://www.cs.stevens.edu/~jschauma/631/test-sws.sh

Not that this only tests a very small subset of the required
functionality.

A few things you want to consider / focus on as you're reaching the home
stretch:

- use a uniform coding style
- don't use magic numbers
- users can have home directories outside of /home; use getpwent and
  pw_dir instead of hardcoding 'home'
- test on OmniOS and NetBSD
- test IPv6 (available on both of those platforms)
- handle cases where the web server cannot read a file even though
  it may exist
- check how to handle HEAD on CGIs or directory index
- ensure you can handle multiple simultaneous connections without
  blocking any one
- ALWAYS CHECK RETURN OF ALL FUNCTIONS THAT CAN FAIL. YES, malloc(3) CAN
  FAIL, TOO.
- use strlcpy, strlcat instead of strcpy, strcat
- ensure users can't requests files outside of your docroot
- remember to implement If-Modified-Since

Please make sure to communicate with all team members.  All of you are
responsible for the final submission.

If you have questions, send them to this list.