[cs631apue] blocks (-s) & size (-k -h)

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Sat Oct 18 12:29:41 EDT 2014

jli51 <jli51 at stevens.edu> wrote:
> for the block size problem, can we just use file size divided by 512 or
> 1024 instead of read the st_blocks?

No, you cannot.  Review the concept of sparse files from lecture 02: the
file size may not accurately reflect how many blocks a file takes up.

> Also for the -X C 1 will override each other and 1 also as default,
> right ?

There is no '-X' flag.  Be precise.

'-x', '-C' and '-1' all override each other.

If you implement '-C', then that will be the default if output is to a
terminal.  If output is not to a terminal, then '-1' will be the
default.