[cs631apue] Marlon Help Please!

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Sun Sep 18 10:05:26 EDT 2016

mseaton <mseaton at stevens.edu> wrote:

> I can use some help into understanding all that is going on here.
>
> ln: failed to create hard link `big' => `/tmp/big': Operation not
> permitted
> cp: cannot create regular file `/tmp/f': Permission denied

Read the test script.  It tries to use a (non-unique) temporary file to
set things up.  This will fail if multiple users on the same systems run
the script.  (This is a flaw in the test script; we will discuss
handling of temporary files in a future lecture and improve on this
script.)

You can modify the test script to use a unique location or emulate the
test cases manually.

> Expected success, but command failed:
>    /home/mseaton/tcp.c /etc/passwd file

It looks to me like you set the program to execute to the source file
'/home/mseaton/tcp.c'.  That cannot work, as '/home/mseaton/tcp.c' is
unlikely to be an executable program.