[cs631apue] lecture03 and midterm

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Mon Sep 19 22:14:49 EDT 2016

Hello,

I've posted the slides from tonight's lecture as well as the midterm
assignment on the course website:

https://www.cs.stevens.edu/~jschauma/631/lecture03.pdf

https://www.cs.stevens.edu/~jschauma/631/f16-midterm.html

I've also set up two directories for you to play around with to verify
the permissions required to remove a file:

~jschauma/apue/tmp/777
~jschauma/apue/tmp/1777

Note:
- you can enter ~jschauma (and these subdirectories), but you cannot
  list the contents of ~jschauma; make sure you understand why

- you can remove any of the files in ~jschauma/apue/tmp/777, even though
  you cannot read or write them; once you remove one of those files, you
  can create a file with the same name in there; if you create a file in
  this directory, anybody else can remove it

  (please only remove one file each, so that other students can verify
  this as well)

- you cannot remove any of the files in ~jschauma/apue/tmp/1777;  if you
  create a file in this directory, only you can remove it

  Can I remove this directory if you have created a file in it that only
  you can remove?  If not, why not?  If yes, why/how?