[cs631apue] class prep

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Mon Sep 11 11:08:41 EDT 2017

Hello,

You will get the most out of this class if you prepare for each class by
reading the chapters we will cover _prior_ to class.  That is, for
today, you want to make sure to have read Chapter 3 in the course book.
This way, you will hopefully come prepared with any questions and will
be much better able to follow along in class.

As a second exercise prior to class, I recommend that you try to do this
little exercise:

Write a program that:
- prints the value of STDIN FILENO, STDOUT FILENO, STDERR FILENO
- prints the value of the file descriptors referenced via the stdin,
  stdout, stderr streams (see fdopen(3))
- open(2) a file, then print the value of that file descriptor
- fopen(3) a file, then print the value of the file descriptor
  referenced via that stream

Does your program's output match what you expected?

See you all tonight,