[cs631apue] How to Extend the file system in NetBSD?

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Sat Sep 23 10:58:58 EDT 2017

Guibin Tang <tguibin at stevens.edu> wrote:

> I configured NetBSD in AWS and just recognized that the volume size is
> not enough. So I decided to resize it. According to the documents from
> AWS, I need to extend the file system after resize the volume. But I
> do not find the command/package to do this in NetBSD. Any way to do
> this in NetBSD?

The best way to look for commands that might do what you want is to look
for the manual page using the apropos(1) command:

$ apropos resize

Since you're looking for resizing a filesystem, you can further restrict
the search, but consider that people have a tendency to write "file
system" as well as "filesystem", so search for both:

$ apropos -C resize | egrep "file ?system"
resize_lfs (8)  resize a mounted log-structured filesystem
resize_ffs (8)  resize a file system on disk or in a file
newfs_ext2fs (8)        construct a new ext2 file system
$

Your default filesystem is most likely the FFS (which we'll cover on
Monday), so take a look at the resize_ffs(8) command.