[cs631apue] HW1 grades

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Sat Sep 30 12:17:32 EDT 2017

All,

I've just sent out grades for HW1.  If you did not receive an email with
your grade, please let me know.

In addition to the comments I already made in class as well as the
general homework guidelines[1], here are a few additional notes that
apply to most of you.  Please carefully consider these points while
working on your next projects and assignments.

- follow the assignment in how to submit your work

The name of the files and the directory in which your files should
extract are given to you; if you deviate, it makes my grading your work
harder.  It also shows that you cannot follow simple instructions.

Failure to submit your assignment using your Stevens email address in a
file and extracting into a directory named after your Stevens username
will lead to points being taken off.

- do not write any code that you do not need to write

Do not add functionality to the tools that is not included in the
specification.  Any code you write is likely to introduce additional
bugs.

- do not write the same code multiple times

If you have a code block that repeats verbatim, turn it into a function
instead of writing it multiple times.  If the code block repeats
_almost_ verbatim, turn it into a function that takes an argument to
avoid writing it multiple times.

- use consistent whitespace and proper formatting

Readability of your code is critical, and considered during grading.
The more well-formatted your code is, the easier it is to read and
understand.  Don't mix tabs and spaces, don't change your
brace-placement style, etc.

- test your program

If I provide you with a set of test cases, it would behoove you to
ensure that your program passes those test cases.  If your program does
not handle those test cases, you cannot expect a good grade.

Create additional tests yourself; I will as well.

- check all return values

Even if you do not encounter a problem while testing, you still must
check and handle all possible error scenarios in a graceful manner.
Failure to do so will directly lead to points being taken off.

- know your buffer sizes

When handling buffers, know the size of the buffer and always ensure
that you do not (could not!) write more data than your buffer has space
for.

- use strerror(3)/perror(3); write error messags to
  stderr

-Jan

[1] https://www.cs.stevens.edu/~jschauma/631/hw