[cs631apue] FTP error

Aubhik Mazumdar amazumda at stevens.edu
Mon Sep 3 15:21:50 EDT 2018

I have been trying to fetch the course code files using FTP on my MAC OS X
but it keeps giving the error-
nodename nor servname provided, or not known

I tried the exact command in the lecture01 slides first-

ftp https://www.cs.stevens.edu/~jschauma/631/welcome.c

and others-

ftp http://www.cs.stevens.edu/~jschauma/631/welcome.c

ftp www.cs.stevens.edu/~jschauma/631/welcome.c

ftp ftp://www.cs.stevens.edu/~jschauma/631/welcome.c

I also performed the nslookup and it gives the correct reply with the IP-

Non-authoritative answer:

www.cs.stevens.edu canonical name = www.cs.stevens-tech.edu.

Name: www.cs.stevens-tech.edu

Address: 155.246.89.84

I know I can just fetch the code files from github or copy paste them, but
I want to diagnose the error. What's funny is that running the same
commands on NETBSD works, leading me to think that the ftp implementation
in the MAC OS X is slightly different. Is anyone else also facing the same
issues?

Thank you,
Aubhik Mazumdar