[cs631apue] FTP error

Aubhik Mazumdar amazumda at stevens.edu
Thu Sep 6 19:34:57 EDT 2018

I apologize for that. The actual error is-

aubhikmazumdar$ ftp https://www.cs.stevens.edu/~jschauma/631/welcome.c

ftp: Can't lookup `https': nodename nor servname provided, or not known

ftp: Can't connect or login to host `https'

It still isn't working even though the nslookup looks positive-

nslookup www.cs.stevens.edu

Server: 1.1.1.1

Address: 1.1.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:

www.cs.stevens.edu canonical name = www.cs.stevens-tech.edu.

Name: www.cs.stevens-tech.edu

Address: 155.246.89.84

but curl works fine with the -k option (disable verifying
ssl certs[insecure!])

curl https://www.cs.stevens.edu/~jschauma/631/welcome.c -k >
Desktop/welcome.c

  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time
Current

                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left
Speed

100   148  100   148    0     0    132      0  0:00:01  0:00:01 --:--:--
132

Thank you for the explanations either ftp can't handle https or I am
missing an option with which it can.