[cs631apue] Welcome!

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Thu Aug 27 22:21:14 EDT 2020

Hello, and welcome to CS631 Advanced Programming in
the UNIX Environment, COVID-19 Edition!

This is the first time we are holding this class 100%
online, so things will be a bit different, and
everything will be a bit of a learning experience for
all of us.

As you can tell, I've subscribed you to the class
mailing list; this will be the primary means of
communication for us.

I've also sent you an invite to the course Slack
channel.  Please customize your profile there and add
your full name and say hi to each other.  We'll use
this channel to chat informally in semi-real time.

Finally, I've created a YouTube channel for this
class, where I'm uploading video lecture segments for
you to watch and work with.  This will allow me to
keep our assigned, synchronous classroom time to talk
with you in real time rather than lecture via Zoom.

Hopefully this will encourage more interactive
participation and foster a more engaging online class
experience.

For this to work out, I'll expect you to watch the
video lectures _before_ our online Zoom class, and so
I have begun uploading the segments for our first
class.  (A third segment for Week 1 is still in the
works; I hope to be able to upload that tomorrow.)

All other class information is available from the
course website at:
https://stevens.netmeister.org/631/

Please bookmark that URL and regularly visit / reload
it.  The YouTube channel and existing video lectures
are linked to from there already.

The Zoom link for the class on Mondays is also
available on the course website; I have shared the
Zoom passcode on Slack in the topic for the 'general'
channel.

Please make sure to review the posted videos and
slides before Monday.  I hope that with all these
resources we will have a successful and productive
class, and don't hesitate to ask questions either on
Slack or on this mailing list.

See you on Monday!