[cs631apue] function forward declarations

Jan Schaumann jschauma at stevens.edu
Thu Sep 9 15:15:59 EDT 2021

Robert Schabacker <rschabac at stevens.edu> wrote:
> There's nothing special about the header files, including them just
> copy-pastes forward definitions into your file. You can forward declare
> any function, just make sure the types match up with the type the
> function is defined with.

Correct.  The header files do not contain the full
implementation of the function, merely the forward
declarations, as Robert noted.

The implementation is in the standard C library, aka
"libc", which your compiler will link with.  (We'll
cover the various steps in the compilation process in
Week 5.)