[FAST] For Graduating Seniors: Job Opportunity at Becton Dickinson

Mae Abiog mabiog at stevens.edu
Tue Feb 16 20:06:26 EST 2010

Hello!

My co-worker Joe Bieler, who is a Stevens alumnus at Becton Dickinson (where
I currently co-op), came up to me today and asked me if I knew any
graduating seniors majoring in mechanical engineering or biomedical
engineering because there are a few open full-time positions available. He
said he will be visiting campus sometime this semester but he'd like to know
who he is interviewing before he actually interviews with them. This is all
the information he told me today but if you are truly interested please
e-mail me back as soon as possible and I will get you more information.

Also, if you have never heard of Becton Dickinson here is some information
for my current co-op position courtesy of Christian Uhl. This is *not* the
job description for the open position I previously stated. I am just putting
this information here so you get a feel of the company and what we do.

*Organization*

BD is a leading global medical technology company that develops,
manufactures and sells medical devices, instrument systems and reagents. The
Company is dedicated to improving people's health throughout the world. BD
is focused on improving drug delivery, enhancing the quality and speed of
diagnosing infectious diseases and cancers, and advancing research,
discovery and production of new drugs and vaccines. BD's capabilities are
instrumental in combating many of the world's most pressing diseases.
Founded in 1897 and headquartered in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, BD employs
approximately 28,000 people in approximately 50 countries throughout the
world. The Company serves healthcare institutions, life science researchers,
clinical laboratori

This position consists of extensive hands-on mechanical laboratory testing
involving tension, compression and torsion testing. Additionally, basic
chemistry is performed as well as day to day laboratory operations.

BD Diagnostics is a leading provider of products for the safe collection and
transport of diagnostic specimens and of instrumentation for quick, accurate
analysis for a broad range of microbiology and infectious disease testing,
including the growing problem of healthcare-associated infections. The
segment is composed of two operating units: Preanalytical Systems, the world
leader in blood collection devices, and Diagnostic Systems, the world leader
in microbiology products.

This Position is based in the *Preanalytical Systems* unit.

*Position description*

The Engineering Co-op in BDPAS will participate as part of the laboratory
staff; plan and perform experiments that support new product or technology
feasibility testing; Analyze data generated from experiments; Report results
of experiments to R&D management and peers; Advise of the product
development implications arising from the results; and when necessary
prepare technical reports.

Specific skills include:

Basic laboratory skills. Knowledge of good laboratory practices (GLP)
desirable. Knowledge of statistical analysis desirable.  Knowledge of the
operation of mechanical measurement equipment (e.g.Instron) desirable.
Superior communication skills, both written and oral.

Seeking Sophomore-Senior Biomedical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering
majors. Chemical Engineering or Materials Engineering majors will be
considered.

Thanks,
Mae