[genderstudies] Fwd: [gender-studies] Jan 30: CLAGS Spring 2013 Events Calendar NOW AVAILABLE!

Cgrilo cgrilo at stevens.edu
Wed Jan 30 15:41:48 EST 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Center for Lesbian and Gay Studies - CLAGS Events*
Date: Wednesday, January 30, 2013
Subject: [gender-studies] Jan 30: CLAGS Spring 2013 Events Calendar NOW
AVAILABLE!
To: Gender & Sexuality Studies <gender-studies at lists.nyu.edu>

   *Center for Lesbian and Gay Studies (CLAGS)* ** ****

*CUNY Graduate Center*****

www.clags.org****

** **

*NOW AVAILABLE:*****

Spring 2013 Calendar of Events****

CLAGS' 2013 Spring Event Calendar is now available for viewing on the CLAGS
website at www.clags.org. We have many exciting events coming up this
spring. Please see below for further details. Our Spring Newsletter will
also be coming out soon, which will feature descriptions of our events and
other programming at CLAGS. Become a member of CLAGS today or join our
listserv to stay updated on everything CLAGS. ****

*All CLAGS events are free and open to the public. Please RSVP to
clagsevents at gc.cuny.edu* ****

*To view the events calendar, click here*:****

tinyurl.com/clags-spring-2013<http://web.gc.cuny.edu/clags/index.php?p=events>
****

*CLAGS Spring 2013 Calendar*****

*___________________________________________*****

*The Life of Vito Russo: A Lecture by Michael Schiavi

2/21/2013*****

*7pm-9pm
Skylight Room (9100)
CUNY Graduate Center*

** **

In this multi-media presentation, Michael Schiavi discusses the life and
times of Vito Russo (1946-1990), author of The Celluloid Closet (1981), the
first study of Hollywood's treatment of lesbians and gay men. Celluloid
Closet was subsequently adapted into a documentary film in 1995 by
Oscar-winning directors Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman, with narration by
Vito's dear friend Lily Tomlin. Russo was also a giant of post-Stonewall
gay and AIDS activism. He was an early and important member of Gay
Activists Alliance (GAA), as well as a co-founder of the Gay and Lesbian
Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) and a co-founder of the AIDS Coalition
to Unleash Power (ACT UP). In addition to Celluloid Activist: The Life and
Times of Vito Russo, Michael's recent biography, Vito's legacy is also
detailed in Vito (HBO Documentary Films), Jeffrey Schwarz's new
documentary, in which Michael appears as Vito's biographer. Michael's talk
incorporates readings from his book, lecture, and archival footage for a
dynamic portrait of an indisputed hero of LGBT activism.****

---
You are currently subscribed to gender-studies as: cng219 at nyu.edu
<javascript:_e({}, 'cvml', 'cng219 at nyu.edu');>