[Redshift] RedShift Updates!! (September-November)

Christian Chiu cchiu1 at stevens.edu
Fri Sep 19 13:27:57 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I have some exciting announcements for RedShift Creative Magazine!!
*Star this email, mark as unread, copy and paste the text into a word doc,
turn it into a PDF and then print it out, because this information is
important.*

*Here's the general outline of this email:*

   1. The fall 2014 RedShift theme and submission deadline
   2. RSO *L.E.A.D.S.* and what you can do to help!
   3. Find out where/when the Artist's Corner and Writer's Circle are!!
   4. RedShift is looking for Editors!! Want to be the next Artistic
   Editor? Layout Editor? Writing Editor? Managing Editor? Read on!!
   5. The Media Sub-Committee is meeting soon. Want to be part of the
   discussion?

*(((1))) *

The theme for the Fall 2014 issue of RedShift is *TRANSITION*!!
We are all in a constant state of transition from the moment we are born
until the day we die. Figure out what transition means to you and then
submit traditional art, digital art, prose, poetry, photography, or written
opinion/satirical pieces to *redshift.submit at gmail.com
<redshift.submit at gmail.com>*. *The Submission deadline is October 5th.*
Submission review is on the following day at 9:00pm, so if you miss the
deadline, you still have a few more hours to submit content. Any
submissions after October 6th *may *not make it into the magazine.

*(((2)))*

RSO L.E.A.D.S. Workshop is an initiative created under the Office of
Undergraduate Student Life to provide leadership education and tools for
student success. It's essentially a three-workshop series focusing on
Recruitment & Retention, Program & Event Planning, and Collaboration &
Outreach. At least one member from each RSO has to attend two out of the
three workshops. It doesn't have to be the same person each time. The first
workshop already passed, but the next two are coming up in October and
November!

They suggested a younger member attend because the workshops teach best
practices in organizational management, and you'll be provided
opportunities (especially if you're a rising RSO leader and/or member) to
make meaningful contributions to your organization.

If anyone is interested/free please inform me or the E-board (preferably
soon) and go to the event!
*I'll be including the workshop schedule in the email attachments.*

*(((3)))*

Who ISN'T excited for this semester's RedShift Events™?
Now *you *can see when all the RedShift events are, even if DuckSync is
being a pain!
Visit the RedShift website at *www.stevens.edu/redshift
<http://www.stevens.edu/redshift>* to see all our events, who our officers
are, and what *you *can do to help out!

   - Weekly *RedShift meetings* are on *Mondays at 9:00pm in Babbio Center
      202*
      - The *Artist Corner* and *Writer's Circle* are held* in Jacobus
      Lounge at 8:00pm, *more info as the events draw near
      - Information about *Open Mic* Night will be *in Jacobus Lounge at
      7:00pm,* more info as the events draw near

*(((4)))*

Almost everyone on the Ebaord is graduating this year. Help an O.C.D.
E.I.C. out by expressing interest in candidacy for the positions available.
Elections are far away, and it's a great time to gain skills in a
low-pressure environment before having to fulfill responsibilities on the
Eboard in the following year.

Here are the (soon to be) open positions, as well as a brief description of
each:

*Editor in Chief:*

Chairs all meetings and acts as the official representative of RedShift.
Great leadership position for anyone interested in organizing RedShift's
magazine-making timeline, events, and members.

*Managing Editor:*

Acts as VP of the club and fulfills any duties that the EIC cannot. Great
position to learn how the magazine is run. Maintains communication between
the executive board and contributors.

*Layout Editor:*

Produces the layout design for the magazine. Should be familiar with the
program InDesign or willing to learn how to use it. This is the most
creative position in RedShift and takes a huge part in how the magazine
looks!

*Artistic Editor:*

Organizes the visual submissions to the magazine and runs the Artist's
Corner event each semester. Helps head of layout make major creative
decisions!

*Writing Editor:*

Organizes the written submissions to the magazines runs the Writer's Circle
to edit submissions.

*Publisher:*

Act as the official representative of RedShift in all matters relating to
the production of the magazine. Maintaining communications between RedShift
and the publishing company.

*Treasurer (EXTREMELY IMPORTANT):*

Takes care of all financial matter of RedShift including making the budget
each semester to submit to the SGA and archiving receipts from events.

Don't those positions sound tantalizingly fulfilling? Don't you enjoy
RedShift Creative Magazine and want to continue to see it in existence? By
becoming part of RedShift, you can help sustain this art niche at a
technology school whose primary focus is innovation & high-paying salaries.

*(((5)))*

There's a Media sub-committee meeting on *September 23rd at 9:00pm in
America's Cup.* Want to represent RedShift on the media board committee?
Like planning and executing fun events? Have school spirit? Then consider
attending this meeting and becoming a media board representative!

Original email included below.

[image: Inline image 2]

And that's all for this time, folks!

*Here are all the important dates, one more time:*

Next Weekly RedShift Meeting - 09/22
9:00pm Babbio Center 202

Media Board Committee Meeting - 09/23
9:00pm America's Cup

Submission Deadline - 10/05
11:59pm Your Computer

Visual Submission Review - 10/06
9:00pm Babbio Center 202

Writer's Circle - 10/07
8:00pm Jacobus Lounge

First session of LEADS Workshop #2
<https://orgsync.com/41943/events/848240/occurrences/1815027> - 10/15
Follow hyperlink

Second session of LEADS Workshop #2
<https://orgsync.com/41943/events/848246/occurrences/1815040> -  10/20
Follow hyperlink

Artist's Corner - 10/29
8:00pm Jacobus Lounge

First session of LEADS Workshop #3
<https://orgsync.com/41943/events/848247/occurrences/1815041> - 11/17
Follow hyperlink

Seconds session of LEADS Workshop #3
<https://orgsync.com/41943/events/848251/occurrences/1815056> - 11/19
Follow hyperlink

Open Mic - 12/03
7:00pm Jacobus Lounge

O.C.D. E.I.C. == Obsessive compulsive disorder editor-in-chief